| Gracie at her first horse show. |
If I came into a fortune and I had to choose one organization to donate my money to I would choose a place called Healing Reins Therapeutic Riding Center. It is located right here in Bend, Oregon and every single day they are working miracles with disabled children and adults using horses. Here is the link to their website.
Healing Reins
I grew up riding horses. I rode every day. They were my life. I rode competitive hunter/jumpers and equitation for 20 years and I taught lessons and trained horses at a stable under the guidance of my trainer for 8 years. Horses were my way of escaping and my way of dealing with the stresses of adolescence. They were the very best part of my life - and that is saying a lot - because I had a wonderful childhood.
It seemed only natural for me to look to horses as a form of therapy for Grace. What I found was Healing Reins.
The first time I took Grace to Healing Reins she shuffled in behind me. I knew she was excited to ride the horse and see him, but I figured that touching all the "dirties" would be a challenge. Another obstacle would be talking to the instructor and all of the volunteers. The instructors are well educated in how to communicate with children with special needs. Her teacher got down to her level, looked her in the eye, used her name and spoke clearly and in an assuring tone. There are very clear rules at Healing Reins and safety is always the top priority. Grace had three volunteers that were with her at all times and I was told to stand behind the red line and watch only. This was fine with me! The instructor and volunteers use terms like "three brushes", "top drawer", "middle drawer", "bottom drawer". These terms are the same each week and never change. The children (and horses) always know what to expect.
Grace's horse's name was Joker. He was a sweet, kind appaloosa gelding. Grace did well with the "three brushes" and opening the "top drawer".... The instructor also insisted that Grace say "thank you" to her volunteers each time they helped her. This was a challenge for Grace as it meant she had to talk to them. However, I was surprised and pleased to hear her mutter a very quiet "thank you" each time she was prompted. The instructors utilize every opportunity to encourage oral communication. They also ask the children to say "walk on" to the horses any time they start to either lead them or ask them to walk when they are riding them. Grace muttered a quiet "walk on" as they were ready to lead her horse to the ring. Her instructor told her that her horse couldn't hear her and she would have to say it louder. I waited, worrying, hoping that this wasn't the end of our good time here at Healing Reins when, after what felt like an eternity, I heard a loud, bellowing "WALK ON!!!". My heart leaped for joy.
I loved every minute of watching Grace ride in her lessons. She smiled and even laughed. Her volunteers were kind, generous, selfless people who dedicated their time to help children with special needs. The instructors were knowledgeable horsewomen and dedicated child development professionals. Grace would laugh and smile when she trotted while her volunteers would run along beside her, holding onto her legs for dear life so she didn't fall off. She learned to steer, halt and move forward. Mostly she learned to believe in herself. She rode in several horse shows and won 3 first place ribbons. She still has those ribbons saved in a special box and they are some of her most prized possessions. She rode with Healing Reins for almost 2 years.
| Gracie with her two blue ribbons! |
I am still involved with Healing Reins as a volunteer judge for their horse shows. I also love to attend their annual auction, "Diamonds and Dust" that is held each September. Grace is still involved with horses. She now takes lessons at a local stable where I used to ride. She is becoming quite a good little rider and we are very proud of her. The riding is good for her confidence and coordination and it is my hope that the horses will give her what they gave me - happiness, self assurance, and the belief that with a little work, anything is possible.
| Grace now, at age 7, riding in her lesson at Horse Butte Equestrian Center |
No comments:
Post a Comment